So this week has been a solid week of progress with our project, in class we got the opportunity to show our progress, a rough edit including the first part of the composition, 70% of the Foley audio, and all of the ADR. The class feedback was really positive and offered their feedback.

Currently, the Foley is near finished recording, there are a few parts with the dialogue of the scene, and a few scattered throughout the song. The most recent session has been mainly focused on the several swoosh sounds throughout the scene, there has been a great deal of time spent detailing each of the sounds. John, Wade and Megan have been using mouth noise to create the effects and thus fair has worked fairly well in simulating wind noise.

File_005

I have been putting majority of my project time into the studio session with the rest of the group over the past few weeks, partly because I felt I needed to be in the studio with my sister, Kati, so she could’ve felt a little more comfortable with me in the studio environment. Only this week have I really put more time into the composition and I have made some good progress. However as I am progressing, I am discovering how much work I have actually taken on. It’s definitely manageable for me, however I am going to have to really knuckle down now.

The composition has been broken into two main sections. The first section is the composition in the background throughout the dialogue, this covers roughly the first 3 minutes of the scene. The section consists of orchestral strings, woodwind and glockenspiel. At this point I have written the MIDI notes for the strings and glockenspiel, woodwind for this section will be my next focus for this section. Most of the time being put into this composition has gone into the rewriting of MIDI which I have been doing in the Pro Tools MIDI editor as it is available at home. it has been quite challenging to identify individual notes when the dialogue is masking the score. However, considering its so far back in the mix, I take the opportunity on occasion to trust my instincts and get creative with the noting. If it flows and fits with the emotion I’m generally happy with it. One thing my lecturer pointed out was the lack of human feel in some sections, I will going back to the drawing board and hopefully adding more notes and smoothing out everything.

Screen Shot 2016-07-28 at 6.48.00 pmScreen Shot 2016-07-28 at 6.48.31 pm

I have been using Native Instruments, Kontakt 5 Session strings for the strings and orchestral glockenspiel sounds for the glock, I plan to use the Kontakt 5 for the woodwind as well. I’m happy overall with the tones, my main priority with the writing has been to make it sound human and NOT like a robot. It’s very time consuming to go through and “humanise” the sounds though, I use mainly variations in the velocity and note timing shifts to create a human feel.

Screen Shot 2016-07-29 at 2.09.07 pmScreen Shot 2016-07-28 at 6.49.51 pm

The second section is the song, A Whole New World. This part has much bigger sound with more elements such as piano. Again I have been sticking with the Native Instruments plugins for piano as well, using the New York Stagesound piano patch, it has a fair organic feel with some of the “overtoney” feels to it. For the other elements I will be using Kontakt also. Currently, I have received the MIDI notes for the piano recording and have been editing them today. However, I discovered also how big an idiot I am, for taking 2 hours to realise that the entire track of MIDI was a semitone flat, which was why it sounded so weird initially. I have a theory that it was recorded on a transposed keyboard, so maybe it recognised all the MIDI notes as a semitone down. Either way, it sound right now!!!!!!! Unfortunately, it’s out of time, so one of my next tasks will be (what I spent a while doing today) editing the timing to the original song, whilst maintaining a human feel. 

Screen Shot 2016-07-29 at 2.09.54 pmScreen Shot 2016-07-29 at 2.09.23 pm

There is a large amount of editing and writing to do, however the end product i believe will be of a high standard, and I have set that expectation for myself, in the hope of maybe achieving it!

I’ll be back with more info on the project status next week, get keen…

Peace!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s